If you are a newbie swim mom, or a veteran trying to improve your massive haul to the pool, this may very well be the list for you. You can view the following as a condensed guide to surviving your first swim meet, and not forgetting the essentials during the rest of swim season.
- Competition suit(s)
- Goggles (I suggest bringing their favorite pair, and 2 extras. Hey, things happen.)
- Warm up swim suit
- Water Bottle
- Favorite Snack
- Extra Towels (We typically use 3-4)
- If your swim meet is inside, you may want a swim parka, so that your swimmer doesn’t get too cold between events
- Chairs. Most swim clubs have bleachers and/or chairs, but the host team’s families will inevitably get there first. If you want the best control over your comfort during the day (amount shade, foot rest, reclining position), pick out & bring your own chairs.
- Sunscreen. Your swimmer knows that it is needed, but will more than likely forget. Other kids will probably forget, too. Just pack it.
- Bug repellant. If you know me, then you already know that I consider this one to be mandatory.
- Entertainment. Swim events are like many other sports competitions – – there will be great, exciting action, but there will also be waiting. Help yourself, and your swimmer, to pass the time with card games, books, crafts, and if you dare, electronics.
- Camera. You will want to capture the day’s events.
- Warm, dry clothes, socks, and shoes.
- Solar, or portable phone charger
- Stick with items that will not weigh your swimmer down. You want hearty options, but not heavy foods.
- Cereal bars
- Keep all of your food safely chilled in your ice-filled cooler
How will you transport all of this? My favorite methods are a little red wagon, or rolling cooler. The rolling cooler rocks because it not only keeps all of your food and drinks perfectly iced, but it can serve as a tabletop during meals, and game time.
I suggest prepping the food and clothing on the night before your meet. Encourage your swimmer to get a great night’s sleep, and to eat an energizing breakfast. Load up the car, put the ice and food items into the cooler, and enjoy your day.